SC Meeting July 19 transcript

Announcements by the Dean of the Scientific Council

Moderator: SC Moderators

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

SC Meeting July 19 transcript

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Callipygian Christensen: the recorder should be sending out IMs telling you this meeting is being recorded for publication
Bagheera Kristan: oops sorry
Lilith Ivory: my bad bags as I used the wrong LM as it seems :)
Callipygian Christensen: elcome everyone - we'll call this meeting to order.
Callipygian Christensen: I'd like a slight amendment to the agenda if the SC approves ' add Admistrative - this is an update to a previous 'request to the RA'. I'd suggest we add at the end and address if time allows
Callipygian Christensen: I need to be out of SL by 10.15 so time today matters :)
Callipygian Christensen: Is that acceptable to the members of the SC?
Lilith Ivory: yes
Soro Dagostino: Yes
Aliasi Stonebender: sure.
Callipygian Christensen: can we adopt the agenda as amended?
Lilith Ivory: that?s fine for me
Aliasi Stonebender: aye.
Soro Dagostino: Agree
Callipygian Christensen: I just got an e-mail that Arria is strying to log in
Callipygian Christensen: Agenda as amended is accepted
Lilith Ivory: Hi Arria :)
Callipygian Christensen: welcoem Arria..who probably can't sit :)
Arria Perreault: Hi all ?
Callipygian Christensen: Item 1: Request for waivers
Shep Titian: Hi DElia :)
Callipygian Christensen: The Chancellor requested waivers be issued for EO and Treasurer to be held by the same person; this led to questions also being rasied about whether the Chancellor has the power to appoint a Treasurer of choice, or whether the current Treasurer serves until resignation or removal for cause
Callipygian Christensen: my observations were posted here:
Callipygian Christensen: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 061#p28825
Callipygian Christensen: We will have a brief sturctured discussion - 2 of you already commented but all members should be heard
Callipygian Christensen: Lilith?
Lilith Ivory: well I still fully agree that Sudane shall jold their position until they may resign or removed for cause and will gladly give her another waiver to have it on the record
Callipygian Christensen: thank you Lilith
Lilith Ivory: /me smiles
Callipygian Christensen: Arria?
Arria Perreault: I have the same opinion than Lilith
Callipygian Christensen: thank you
Callipygian Christensen: Soro?
Soro Dagostino: While I agree with Lilith, I don't think a waiver is necessary. Sudane's term extends until she resigns or is removed for cause.
Soro Dagostino: Nothing the Chancellor can do, will change that.
Soro Dagostino: This whole hullabaloo is an effort by the Chancellor to change the law.
Soro Dagostino: Done.
Callipygian Christensen: thank you Soro
Tor Karlsvalt: /me claps
Callipygian Christensen: Aliasi?
Guillaume Mistwalker: /claps
Aliasi Stonebender: Well, a waiver was clearly issued in the past, I think I even have memory of such. But on the other hand, we shouldn't have to rely on the oral tradition. I don't think it would do any harm to re-confirm Sudane, just so there is a record, but I generally agree with Soro.
Callipygian Christensen: anything further Aliasi?
Bagheera Kristan: is the chancellor's intent on trial here, is he here to explain himself?
Aliasi Stonebender: No, I think that covers it all, really. Sudane is EO and Treasurer, the RA and SC at the time were probably not idiots, therefore, there was a waiver. It's simply a way of dealing with the reality that LL only recognizes a single owner of record.
Callipygian Christensen: thank you ALiasi.
Soro Dagostino: /me raises hand
Callipygian Christensen: With a reminder that decisions are based on interpretation of the law, not on the personal views of why a petition might be brought, I propose we affirm that NL 5-5 Treasurer Act states that the Treasurer is in office until resignation or removal.
Soro Dagostino: for cause.
Callipygian Christensen: Soro - quickyl please?
Soro Dagostino: Add "for cause."
Callipygian Christensen: oh..thank you
Callipygian Christensen: Motion: The SC affirms that NL 5-5 Treasurer Act states that the Treasurer is in office until resignation or removal for cause
Lilith Ivory: I second
Soro Dagostino: Call the question.
Callipygian Christensen: members please vote aye or nay
Arria Perreault: aye
Callipygian Christensen: aye
Lilith Ivory: aye
Soro Dagostino: aye
Aliasi Stonebender: aye
Callipygian Christensen: carried
Guillaume Mistwalker: clap clap clap
Soro Dagostino: brb coffee
Callipygian Christensen: Noting the belief that waivers already exist, but that there is no record of them:
Callipygian Christensen: Motion: The SC issues a waiver for Sudane Erato, Estate Owner, to also hold the position of Treasurer, until such time as her position as Treasurer ends.
Lilith Ivory: I second
Callipygian Christensen: any discussion?
Callipygian Christensen: then members please vote aye or nay
Callipygian Christensen: Since Soro went AFK and 4 votes carries the motion - carried
Callipygian Christensen: Motion: The SC grants a waiver to Sudane Erato to hold the position of Treasurer, recognizing that she is also the Estate Owner, until such time as she resigns or is removed for cause from the position of Treasurer.
Soro Dagostino: Sorry -- I think you just fell into the waiver trap.
Soro Dagostino: Not necessary to waive --
Soro Dagostino: Nay
Callipygian Christensen: oops..mispot..
Callipygian Christensen: I need a second before your discussion Soro
Soro Dagostino: You took a vote.
Soro Dagostino: W/o a second.
Arria Perreault: I am also not sure it is necessary to waive ...
Callipygian Christensen: Soro.. you were absent during the previous vote - is that what you are commenting on?
Lilith Ivory: I seconded the moton before
Soro Dagostino: Yes.
Callipygian Christensen: The motion for a waiver for the Estate Owner carried, with Soro AFK
Arria Perreault: this is the third motion ... ? (a bit lost)
Callipygian Christensen: there is a new motion on the floor, for a waiver for Treasurer - both positions require a waiver on recrod
Lilith Ivory: I second the third motion too
Soro Dagostino: Sorry madame Dean -- it was properly seconded.
Soro Dagostino: I still think it wrong.
Arria Perreault: you mean Treasure and EO need a waiver ?
Callipygian Christensen: thank you lilith - any discussion on the motion to grant a waiver to the Tresurer?
Aliasi Stonebender: in either case, to establish or re-establish, if it is seconded, I'll vote aye.
Callipygian Christensen: Soro - do you have any further discussion on the motion?
Callipygian Christensen: Arria - yes..both positions require a waiver, by law
Soro Dagostino: The waiver is not necessary
Callipygian Christensen: your opinion is noted
Arria Perreault: in this case, I will vote ay
Callipygian Christensen: all members please vote aye or nay - recognizing that Aliasi and Arria have laredy voted aye
Soro Dagostino: nay
Callipygian Christensen: 4 ayes, 1 nay - motion carries
Callipygian Christensen: thank you everyone - I will notify the RA of these decisions
Callipygian Christensen: Item 2 - the creation of a standardized notecard for petitions to the SC
Callipygian Christensen: Arria, with thanks, is taking care of the drafting of this
Callipygian Christensen: I believe there has not been time to curculate a copy with revisions yet
Soro Dagostino: I suggest the petitions be supported by the knowledge of the proponent or affidavits by a witness.
Soro Dagostino: And that the proponenet be present
Callipygian Christensen: Soro - please include that in your feedback to Arria so that she can include it
Soro Dagostino: Its on this record.
Arria Perreault: ok. I will make a new version for our next meeting
Arria Perreault: with your suggestion, Soro
Callipygian Christensen: Arria, since Soro is now adding his feedback, can we table this to the next meeting to give you time to review and incorporate?
Arria Perreault: yes
Soro Dagostino: Sooo, move to table.
Callipygian Christensen: mambers aye or nay to table?
Soro Dagostino: aye
Callipygian Christensen: carried..motion tabled :)
Callipygian Christensen: item 3
Callipygian Christensen: Garnet Psaltery files a petion some months ago - as a result of forum moderation revision she is happy that the issue is resolved at this time and that the petition is closed
Callipygian Christensen: Does anyone feel a need to discuss that further?
Callipygian Christensen: Hearing nothing we will move on
Callipygian Christensen: New business item 1
Callipygian Christensen: a petition was received from Jon Seattle and is posted here:
Callipygian Christensen: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5167
Callipygian Christensen: This petition is specific to what consititutes sufficent notice of delinquency before land seizure.
Callipygian Christensen: Jon does not deny being delinquent, and there is no question that land may be reclaimed as per the law.
Callipygian Christensen: The question is regarding what the law says is reasonable notification
Callipygian Christensen: Do the members of the SC feel they can discuss this at this time, or is there a need for further information and reasearch?
Aliasi Stonebender: I do have one question.
Callipygian Christensen: Yes Aliasi?
Aliasi Stonebender: Exactly how much time passed between the due date and the time it was reclaimed?
Callipygian Christensen: I beliee it was reclaimed on the date permitted by law.
Aliasi Stonebender: I believe that when it was Sudane taking care of things personally there was a significant time between the two, but as this was passed to estate managers to do the lag time was hastened.
Aliasi Stonebender: That said, I would question if reasonable notification has taken place if it was reclaimed at the precise moment the plot was deliquent.
Callipygian Christensen: Again though, this is not about when it was recalimed, but about 'reasonable notice' that there was a risk of reclamation
Callipygian Christensen: The issue appears to be 'are the IMs from the Hippo enough notice'
Aliasi Stonebender: I believe the current rental boxes do provide a 'your payement is due in X days' notice, yes. I get them myself.
Callipygian Christensen: or does the law enacourage additional methods of notification
Aliasi Stonebender: While it's true one's IMs can be capped in SL, if one sets SL messages to go to email you will receive all of them.
Aliasi Stonebender: so I don't see how it could *not* be sufficent, myself.
Lilith Ivory: I would like to have evidence a notecard and an IM has been sent (both is doable by presenting parts of the transactionn history and the saved IM log I think)
Callipygian Christensen: The issue of capped IMs is perhaps relevant - as is the question of whether the same mthods of notification have been given to ALL citizens with delinquent parcels.
Soro Dagostino: I agree with Lilith
Aliasi Stonebender: I think asking for evidence is reasonable, yes.
Aliasi Stonebender: Also, did Jon present any mitigating factors?
Callipygian Christensen: ok..since ALiais has expressed some questins, and there are cncerns from other members I propoe that we research and report on a Discussion thread
Callipygian Christensen: This will allow input from Jon, from the Chancellor and allow an accurate gathering of facts
Callipygian Christensen: Lilith - would you take responsibility for this ?
Lilith Ivory: yes of course :)
Callipygian Christensen: Are the members satisfied that Lilith will conduct the necessary research, then report for discussion?
Soro Dagostino: Agreed
Aliasi Stonebender: Fine by me.
Callipygian Christensen: Aye from me
Callipygian Christensen: Arria may be having connection issues.I am not sure where she is
Callipygian Christensen: Lilith, recognizing that having land tied up is a cost to the CDS, I ask that you proceed with this is quickly as possible.
Lilith Ivory: I agree and will do as fast as possible
Callipygian Christensen: that brings us to item2 of new business.
Arria Perreault: I also consider that we have to work on facts
Callipygian Christensen: As a result of a vote taken at the extraordinary meeting on the 15th, this item is to be hear in camera, noting once again the objection of Soro to doing so.
Soro Dagostino: Star Chamber
Bagheera Kristan: /raises hand
Callipygian Christensen: This in camera session is to establish process in a complaint, not to hear evidence, and therefore only SC members will participate
Callipygian Christensen: Bagheera?
Bagheera Kristan: I apologize, i was afk...
Bagheera Kristan: Jon's property was reclaimed 14 days after it became delinquent - as taht is the time frame set forth by the law
Bagheera Kristan: eom
Callipygian Christensen: Thank you Baghera - Lilith will include that in her research
Bagheera Kristan: I can leave now, I just wanted to add that sorry :) yes
Bagheera Kristan: thank you
Callipygian Christensen: This brings the public session to a close and we will reconvene elsewhere to continue.
Callipygian Christensen: Thank you ato all citizens who attended this morning!
Patroklus Murakami: :)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett

Return to “Scientific Council Announcements”