Forum for the CDS Artisan Guild

Moderator: SC Moderators

Brian Livingston
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Info Center WG Discussion Thread

Post by Brian Livingston »

Hi all:

The Info Center Workgroup needs to meet soon so that we can continue progress on creating an integrated information center for our community.

As such,I would like to propose a meeting on this coming Monday at 3 PM SLT. If you're able to attend, please respond in this topic. If you aren't able to attend, please respond with a proposed alternate time slot or two.

Thanks!

--Brian Livingston

Last edited by Brian Livingston on Mon May 11, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Info center Workgroup: Meeting Times?

Post by Sonja Strom »

I could meet then.

Just to let you know, I have updated the notecard about how to turn off the fog in Neufreistadt, and added a translation in German at the bottom of it.

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Info center Workgroup: Meeting Times?

Post by Rose Springvale »

i'm sort of in RL hell for the next couple of weeks, but will try to come. We really need this.

Brian Livingston
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Info enter WG Meeting: Monday 05/11/09 @ 3 PM SLT

Just as a reminder, the Info Center workgroup will be meeting today at 3 PM SLT at the Neufreistadt Biergarten.

Hope to see you there!

Brian Livingston

Brian Livingston
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Info Center - Summary of 05/11/09 Meeting

- Info Center WG will primarily focus on objects for use within the C.D.S. regions.
- Key Requirements are that it is easy to update content and it should be low prim (under 10 prims preferably).
- There was some discussion of a content distribution system to allow for instantaneous updates from a single location.
- Content will focus solely on current events and directional assistance. For other topics, visitors will be directed to the tourist center and/or the web portal.
- Initial plans are for one info center in each region.
- Design parameters are still being drawn up. There was some discussion about creating a universal design to promote recognition and use, while there was also support for theme-specific designs.
- Design should incorporate existing CDS branding.
- Design should avoid hovertext.

- Next meeting will be on May 18, 2009 at 3 PM SLT.
- Assignment: Explore other regions and take a picture of a information device that you particularly liked. Make a few notes on what in particular you liked about that device and take a LM. Either post in the NG thread or bring to the next meeting.

Brian Livingston
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Re: Info Center WG Discussion Thread

I did a little research today, digging through SLExchange and in-world searches, and came across this device:

https://xstreetsl.com/modules.php?name= ... ID=1211135

- Updating the contents of the board is pretty easy. The operator simply adds or deletes the image from the server's contents. There are no notecards to configure in order to add or remove images from the cycle.
- It is possible to link a specific object to a specific image; In short, if an ad for Metanomics is up, we can have the sign give out a LM to the event. If the next image is a map of the region, clicking on the map could distribute a relevant notecard with points of interest,
- The server is Trans/Mod, the boards are Mod/Copy/Trans. When combined with group deeds, this will allow multiple parties to edit the server object, as well as permit transferring the object to a successor if needed.

I talked with the creator of this device for a bit earlier today when I was at his shop in-world. With his permission, I have a notecard of the conversation in the event anyone is interested in the specifics.

I look forward to discussing this, as well as ironing out the other design parameters, at our next meeting on Monday, May 18th, at 3 PM SLT at the Neufreistadt Biergarten.

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Info Center WG Meeting?

Post by Sonja Strom »

A CDS Info Center Workgroup meeting was announced for 3:00 p.m. today in the weekly events calendar, to be found here http://portal.slcds.info/index.php?id=93 and in the Events notecard distributed to the CDS group for June 8-14, 2009.

I went to the Biergarten shortly before 3 p.m., and waited there for over an hour (reading, so it was alright), but nobody else came by. :?

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

Apologies. The meeting is on the calendar, so i announced it. It would be nice if people could take their meetings off the calendar if they are cancelling.. I try to send the event list out on Monday before the first event. There are just too many events for me to confirm them all with you... All you need to do is send me a note by Sunday night and we can update.

Brian Livingston
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Ack... my sincere apologies Sonja. I thought I had unset the repeat function, but evidently not. I've gone ahead and corrected my oversight.

Again, sorry for the mixup,

Brian

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

Thank you both. No problem, I understand. :)

Return to “CDS Artisan Guild”