I like graphs

Forum to discuss business matters, commerce and the economy of the CDS

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

I like graphs

Post by Sudane Erato »

I like graphs of money information. They so much easier to understand, if you need to understand how things are changing. In the CDS we have been worried a good deal about our financial health, whether or not the community is losing money, and how to handle things if we need to downsize.

I've assembled a graph of our finances. The graph starts in January 2016 and shows the overall finances of the community since then. But I need to explain it a bit.

The money we spend for tier paid to Linden Lab is the huge part of what our own payments go for. That money is more or less stable... it changes only a bit as the exchange rate raises and lowers. So I show that directly on this graph. You'll see that in early 2016, our tier dropped a great deal. That's because at that time we paid the fee to have our sims grandfathered, lowering the monthly cost. Then in October of last year, the tier went back up a bit. That's because we upgraded NFS and CN to have extra prims.

But our tier collections... our Income... changes a huge amount each month. Its very erratic, now that the Casper system allows us to pay any amount we want. Because a jumble of numbers is very hard to read on a graph, I've smoothed it our by taking a 4 month average for each spot on the graph. So the Income and the Net Profit or Loss are smoothed out numbers.

I also added, since I have the data since last September, the percent of theoretical tier collections as compared to tier expense. This is the number from the Master Parcel Chart which now appears in every monthly financial report.

Anyway, here's the graph.

Please ask me any questions you might have. My conclusion from studying the graph is that... yes... we are treading a fine line, and we are very much "break-even". We are slightly ahead, as the Parcel Chart data suggests. But we have to be very careful with our expenses, and we have to do everything we can to encourage new residents, or encourage old residents to stay and buy more land.

Sudane....................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg

Return to “Business, Commerce and the Economy”