Too much spam???

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Too much spam???

Post by Sudane Erato »

Laura sent a notice around this morning saying that "Someone said they are leaving the CDS because there's too much spam". Her comment in the notice was... "Ok, I'll stop sending notices".

Why? Because one person thinks there are too many notices? What if others of us think that there are not too many? That the notices we get help build our community.

Laura, I ask that you do not stop with the notices that you're sending, and that instead of responding this way to one person's comments, that we introduce the question for discussion, and arrive at a community decision whether the kinds of information we're getting is appropriate.

In my opinion, it builds community, and should be encouraged.

Sudane......................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: Too much spam???

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Ditto what Sudane said. One person's complaint is hardly reason to deprive the entire community of a service that many others may enjoy. If someone doesn't like reading our group notices, there is a little box they can click on the group info box, and like magic! No more notices, for those who do not want them!

(On top of that, really? CDS group has too many notices? I can show you some groups that have literally hundreds per day.)

Kyoko
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Kyoko »

When I first came to CDS almost 4 years ago I was puzzled by the lack of posts in the CDS group. And had to ask Rosie to post for me concerning Art Cafe exhibitions.

One of my aims as Chancellor is to revitalize the CDS group as a conduit for more than just notices of government meetings or decisions. I have been encouraging that, with an eye on keeping a balance appropriate to CDS. Of course we don't want "spam", but I hope we want more engagement from our citizens. And sharing via notices is part of that.

I encouraged Laura to continue her weekly freebie posts. Many citizens wear mesh bodies. And today is Valentine's Day!

I hesitated to post now, as I didn't want to stifle the flow of the discussion. So carry on!

Kyoko (your stubbornly non-mesh chancellor)

CDS Citizen
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

I fully agree with Sudane, Sylvia and Kyoko and would like to ask Laura to please continue to share her freebie-finds with us.
In my opinion once a week and at special occasions like today is just fine.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I am already meshy, but my alt is not! I was pleased to get this news, so that I can go fix her up for free. :)

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Just to add my two cents to what everyone else has already said. The CDS could hardly be regarded as spamming with notices, so once in a while a notice about a really great deal from the Empress of Freebies is fine with me.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Was the person who left a citizen, or just someone in the group?

This might sound cold, but if they weren't a citizen I'd politely ignore what they're saying.

I think Laura's posts to date have been appropriate and helpful, and not spammy.

Part of being a community is sharing things you've found -yes, that could easily escalate into unending spam, and we should be aware of that possibility. But at this point, from my perspective, it's a non-issue.

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Han Held wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:17 pm

This might sound cold, but if they weren't a citizen I'd politely ignore what they're saying.

I agree.

Pip Torok
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Post by Pip Torok »

Sylvia Tamalyn wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:39 pm
Han Held wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:17 pm

I agree.

And, to add my own two-penny-worth, so do I … so please, Laura, just carry-on the good work. :wink:

Pip Torok

Return to “General Discussion”