Another New England custom offered for consideration

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Another New England custom offered for consideration

Post by Sudane Erato »

Talking about the way we do things in New England has brought to mind another custom we have... our dates for changing seasons. We've evolved now to where the season turns to snow each Thanksgiving (about Nov 25 for those who don't celebrate Thanksgiving when we do in the US), and then turns to spring on Valentines Day, Feb 14.

I offer that custom for your consideration.

Sudane...................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: Another New England custom offered for consideration

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I have already been pestering the Chancellor about when will the snow go away, so I'm all for it! I'm ready to see green trees and mountains again. :)

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I'm all for setting a regular seasonal change, as that would take the guesswork out of it for everyone. I'd have a hard time remembering when American Thanksgiving is though... what about making it December 1st instead? That would be easy to remember! I also think it would be nice if we went gently into spring, rather than from deep snow to full summer. But, perhaps I'm dreaming.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

We've started seeing the turn to Spring. CN and LA are fully into the Spring season and if the weather forecasts bear out, Spring will be moving up the mountains to where we will have no more snow by the Spring Equinox at the very latest.

Kyoko
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Kyoko »

Sorry I missed this in my pre-travel chaos.

While I am not opposed in principle to a set seasonal shift, I like the realism of our uncertainty as long as it falls within a reasonable range of dates. I also enjoy Delia’s slow teases.

We are very “sui generis” in CDS and despite our democratic bedrock, anarchic in places. I like our specific bits of CDS waywardness, of which slightly uncertain seasonal changes, for me at least, are part.

CDS Citizen
Kyoko
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Kyoko »

I didn't mean to stop the conversation. It was just a personal opinion. So please speak up if you want a set date for the shift.

CDS Citizen
Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Lyubov »

This year has been my first experience of the seasons in SL, and CDS. While many places instantly vaporized the holiday decorations and snow, not unlike the local mall, CDS has followed a much more natural, if frustrating path. I like it :)

I confess, a long winter and a begrudging spring, often make me run away for the weekend to a warmer climate. Whether that means descending from the mountaintop in NFS to tend a vineyard in LA, or venturing outside of CDS (only for shopping, I'll be right back!), this is part of what makes CDS interesting, and special.

To me, what has made the transition tolerable, and even pleasant, is Delia's weather forecasting (and incredible 100% accuracy!). I have enjoyed our tip-toes into spring. My birch tree forest in NFS has shed its snow but the leaves aren't showing yet. Plants and grasses are still brown, not yet turning green; I don't quite see any flowers yet. The reindeer long ago took flight. Other places in SL, that have already "switched on" full spring and summer modes seem well out of step for CDS, certainly for the elevated regions. If anything, I wish my seasonal trees and grasses offered further granularity, such as budding, instead of bare to full spring colors.

Under Delia's care, I trust that we know "sometime in the middle of February the snows begin to melt" and "sometime at the end of November leaves begin to turn color". Essential to our understanding, are her forecasts and reports.

Landscaping is indeed artistry. It may be unpredictable at times, but nature often is. Let's enjoy the journey.

Return to “General Discussion”