Security Orbs on Ground Level?

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Security Orbs on Ground Level?

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

During the RA session of Feb 09 2019 Lilith Ivory brought up the topic of security orbs on ground level during the Citizen Concerns section. It seems that some people want to have them, while the covenant does not allow them. Rosie Gray promised to set that on the LUC agenda; the RA will keep it on their agenda too. We all agreed this needs a forum discussion and a maximum of citizen input.

Let me find the passage that forbids them...

General Covenant
General Rules
5. No security devices below 1000 meters.

Well. I am not sure what to think of it. I certainly do not want to run in a security script while flying around. Air traffic (above x meter - to be discussed) should not be affected IMO. Another thing I do not like: to run in a security device on open pasture. It is okay if there is a fence or a wall and a closed door - common sense would keep me from trying to intrude there anyway. I would like to have enough time to step back in a relaxed manner. I want the warning to be polite. I do not want to be teleported home. Ejection nearby should be enough. I do not want a ban line become visible as a reaction. I do not want sound alerts spamming me and the neighbourhood. And finally the security device should cause no considerable lag.

That would be some conditions to make me not opposing this novelty.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: Security Orbs on Ground Level?

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I don't mind if someone wants to use an orb, though I've never felt the need for one in CDS. One way to address most, if not all, of Tan's concerns would be to make it part of the covenant that if a citizen wishes to use an orb, they must use one provided and set by CDS management. That way there could be uniformity in how many seconds the warning time is, what ejection mode is used, etc. (This is how it's done on a couple of other estates that I rent from.) The orbs would of course be required to stay within parcel boundaries. Hopefully Sudane will share her experiences with the use of orbs at the New England sims.

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

The idea of a security orb owned and set by the administration is very appealing, and might work in some of the densified homes where the builds are set and not changeable by the resident (if we can find appropriate software). But its impractical on most parcels. EM's would need to work double shifts!

New England is part of the United Sailing Sims, also known as the Blake Sea estates, and long ago we all adopted very significant access rules. Parcel based access MUST ALWAYS be set to everyone, as well as scripts allowed, building allowed, flying allowed. The concept is that the public is allowed free access everywhere, with the build allowed so as to enable the visitor to rez a boat or plane. It is intended that people will protect their parcels by using short autoreturn.

Well, with all that public-ness, people do deserve some privacy. So, yes, orbs are allowed, so long as they cover only the house and the immediate vicinity of the house, if the resident wishes. Larger security fields are prohibited. This does still take some management, particularly with people who don't know how to set up their tools, or with people who have their security only because they are suddenly being harrassed by people and are using the security as a defensive measure. They tend to throw in an orb that covers the whole parcel or the whole sim (most of our parcels are homesteads). Following complaints, we then need to approach them and provide instructions.

In the (good) ol days, security orbs where primitive, and just protected a sphere of area. Most homes are not spheres. But first Hippo, and now Casper (and probably others) provide an easily configurable rectangular volume of secured space. It can easily be set to just the volume of the house, if the house is aligned to the sim grid, or if not (like a lot of my densified homes) set to cover strategic inside areas.

I'd be in favor of a policy like we have in New England, and perhaps even more specific. Security orbs must cover volumes ONLY within your home or terrace. Perhaps we could require a certain "official" sign be placed in front of any protected home to minimize unpleasant surprises.

It's kind of standard these days in SL that people be able to secure their homes. Ban lines, which are actually parcel settings which turn off public access, are definitely "out".

Sudane...........................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Your suggestion makes sense, Sudane, and is really a lot like having an alarm on your RL home. I can't think of any objection someone could have, other than saying "if they can enter my parcel at all, then my privacy setting won't keep them from seeing me". I suppose my response to that would be that if you have a persistent peeking Tom, it's time to add them to your ban list!

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

As long as the security only covers the inside of their abode I guess it's hard to object. The old law about it was probably before you could restrict them so well. On the other hand I have no experience with them so wouldn't be much use at helping someone else who couldn't figure out how to set it properly. I can imagine it becoming a nuisance. Question - are they capable of booting out Estate Managers?

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

They are capable, Rosie, so if you want to avoid that, we'd need a rule that EMs must be on the orb's white list. I'm not really sure that's necessary, though, since I can't think of anything I'd need to do as an EM that I couldn't do standing next to the parcel.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Thanks, Sylvia, I was just curious about all the orbs could do. I agree that I can't think of anything an EM couldn't do if necessary without standing on the parcel, including returning the orb to its owner.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Laura Azalee
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Laura Azalee »

To be honest, I am very much against them. I have been in SL for over 10 years and had a place of my own since I was a very young avatar but I never, never had a security orb - I just think they are horrible. I have always had a place in the sky for privacy, so i think that the present rule of no orb below 1000 is just fine.

If an unpleasant intruder comes in, which by the way happened to me only once in ten years, we don't have to put up with them, we can still eject and ban them.

And do we really want to have to check property lines every time we take a walk around to avoid incurring in those horrible devices?

Besides, I think that security orbs on ground level would just be somewhat against the sense of community and openness that is so special to CDS. It would be very sad if we too started to close up areas, put up walls, and so on. Sorry guys i don't think that would be the spirit of CDS.
And it makes me feel sad that we're even considering this.

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Some of us may not want to use orbs for ourselves, but that should not override someone else's wish to have one, as long as having one doesn't hinder use of public areas. What we are discussing here, allowing the use of orbs inside peoples' homes, should not affect anyone else. If I'm strolling down the road, a properly set orb will not bother me. If I barge into someone's living room and they have an orb, then I will get what I deserve for intruding on their privacy.

Community is all well and good, but we have to give equal consideration to the desire for some privacy. If we establish rules such as Sudane has suggested, this should not be a burden on anyone.

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

I totally agree with Sylvia.

I personally have no need for a security orb either but wanted to have this covenant rule reviewed as during the last few ears I have been talking to several citizens - and potential new citizens - who wanted to have their privacy protected by an orb.

I would be in favor to allow orbs that protect only the inside of buildings but in this case I would ask for a class for EMs about how to handle them correctly and a list of Orbs who can be set up precisely like this. (the casper orb is terribly expensive and some citizens might buy a wrong one by accident)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Kyoko
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Kyoko »

While I am not personally in favor of security orbs, it seems we need to look at the issue.

If we do decide in favor I would wish for the ones that only protect the building volume, not the land around.

My main concern is that 3 of our sims have large areas of common land that are free to wander. The ability to freely explore our sims is an important part of our appeal. I am also concerned for Friedsee airfield and Lyubov's balloon ride. If the volume orbs can be set to the building's height, that's ok, but if they cannot be set vertically as well as horizontally I am adamantly opposed to allowing security orbs at ground level in CDS. You can't invite people to rez their planes or take balloon rides if they are going to be tossed out because of a security orb.

I am also very concerned for the load on EMs. They are volunteers and not all of us have the skills, time or will to learn the ins and outs of security orbs. I will await a proposal that does not burden the EMs.

Obviously I am pretty much opposed, but as chancellor I am represented by the RA and the LUC as well under as the jurisdiction of the SC. So in the end it is up to the appropriate body(ies) to make that decision.

Kyoko

BTW all my parcels are fully open and citizens are more than welcome to explore. But that's my personal choice.

CDS Citizen
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

I agree with Kyoko -I think we have to make it a priority to keep our lands as open as possible.

Any orbs that are set out should have generous time limits -no less than 30 seconds. Auto-kicking and 5 second orbs are one of the worst scourges of mainland and I'd hate to see those annoyances here.

And I think that any orbs set out should be required to get approval so that the chancellor (or someone) can make sure that the Estate Managers are whitelisted and that the timeout is appropriate.

In SL "privacy" has a couple of meanings. There's privacy as in "no one can enter" which is what orbs address; then there's "no one outside can see in" which is something that is already configurable in "about land".

The about land can be thwarted by someone sitting on the same parcel -but that's the point where the citizen would file a complaint to the EM team.

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Emilia Avindar
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Emilia Avindar »

This is my perspective, too, Laura. We can simply toggle off (disallow) the option to "Allow others to see and talk to avatars on this parcel" and I believe it may even suppress your green dot so it no longer appears on the map to others. If an orb is allowed, it should be set to only warn, and not eject or send home. Our community is built on trust and mutual respect, and is very unique in this.

I wonder if the orbs would create lag, due to continuous scanning. Visitor trackers are an option which do not have negative impact; simply check to see if you have frequent guests, and if you don't wish to confront unwelcome visitors yourself, then let an EM know you are concerned, so it can be addressed in a congenial way.

I will accept whatever guidance comes down on this, but i agree with you, Laura. Orbs are overkill, and this community is civilized and engaged. Anyone peeking inside a personal domicile may only be curious about decor, and how we live here.

Another idea is Sentinel duty, as a volunteer role that might encourage more involvement in the sim. The Sentinel could serve as a greeter also, to welcome the occasional outsider, and to provide the simple instruction to please respect personal privacy while enjoying our beautiful, historic sims.

We could then review the Visitor List and actually work it to encourage follow up, and to extend personal invitations to events.

Laura Azalee wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:01 am

To be honest, I am very much against them. I have been in SL for over 10 years and had a place of my own since I was a very young avatar but I never, never had a security orb - I just think they are horrible. I have always had a place in the sky for privacy, so i think that the present rule of no orb below 1000 is just fine.

If an unpleasant intruder comes in, which by the way happened to me only once in ten years, we don't have to put up with them, we can still eject and ban them.

And do we really want to have to check property lines every time we take a walk around to avoid incurring in those horrible devices?

Besides, I think that security orbs on ground level would just be somewhat against the sense of community and openness that is so special to CDS. It would be very sad if we too started to close up areas, put up walls, and so on. Sorry guys i don't think that would be the spirit of CDS.
And it makes me feel sad that we're even considering this.

Chancellor, 32nd Term, December 2019 - May 2020.
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I oppose anything that resembles "SL police", and would much rather see an orb protecting the interior of a home (where strangers have no business being anyway) over "sentinels" patrolling the streets. There are many in SL who share my view about pretend police. It starts out as innocent RP, but inevitably causes issues.

As Sudane said, they allow orbs at New England, and I have never found orbs to hinder my explorations there. In fact, I was not even aware they allowed orbs! So it's obviously possible to do this in a manner that allows easy exploration while protecting homeowner privacy. Maybe a field trip to New England is in order for those who are not so familiar with how orbs can be properly set up, so they can see for themselves.

If someone has an orb, it does not prevent anyone from peeking inside. It prevents them from barging on in. ;) I hope we can be flexible and consider the wishes of all citizens and potential citizens, regardless of whether we personally dislike orbs. There is obviously some demand to have them, since Lilith stated she has been asked about it by more than one person.

Emilia Avindar
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Emilia Avindar »

Sylvia, I'm sorry if the word "Sentinel" sounded like police, because i think it sounds like "guard" as in to guard our privacy while making friendly contact with outsiders.

Regardless, we do have a welcoming tradition. Hopefully, we all jump out of our bubbles to say hello to new guests, or old ones. To some it comes very naturally, and I might be shy, or reluctant to engage and spend time, but I remember how it feels to be new. Pip may have been the first person to welcome me, and to follow up with invitations to poetry readings, many years ago. Otherwise, this beautiful place could almost be intimidating, until you get to know us.

I don't see how Citizens need orbs when they would want to model open architecture concepts, self governance, and democracy. I'm here for the dream. Let the Citizens have their voice, then.

Would it be possible to poll all Citizens, or have a Vote here, yay or nay, on a specific proposal?

Chancellor, 32nd Term, December 2019 - May 2020.

Return to “General Discussion”