Security Orbs on Ground Level?

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Security Orbs on Ground Level?

Post by Rosie Gray »

Since there seems to be such a diversity of opinion on orbs in the CDS, I think that Emilia's suggestion of poling the citizenry is a good idea. We have this topic coming up during tomorrow's LUC Meeting (Sunday Feb. 17., 10 AM SLT), so I'll bring that to the table.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Lyubov »

I strongly agree with the sentiments expressed by Laura, as well as the follow-ups by Kyoko, Han, and Emilia. At this time, I remain firmly opposed to the very concept of security orbs on the ground level. All of my parcels are completely open and I welcome visitors. Those who desire orbs may do so over 1000m.

In my experience, orbs address a problem which I feel we do not have in CDS. Instead, I use a completely free solution, called Hello Visitor. With "Hello Visitor", I IM or Chat a nearby guest with a friendly greeting. This usually results in a friendly conversation; on rare occasions, the embarrassed guest TPs away on his own.

I may entertain obs at the ground level, under specific conditions, including but not limited to:

* A very tight affected volume of area
> Interior spaces only
> What is the technical granularity of this volume?
- Parcel dimensions are limited to a crude, 4x4 grid
- Many spaces, particularly in NFS, have an irregular shape
- The ground floor of spaces may be commercial, and must not be restricted in any way
- Airspace should not be restricted

* Warnings set to "nudge" not "shove"
> A simple notification, not an eject or TP home is sufficient for reasonable people
> There are other, less invasive Land tools to specifically exclude the unwanted

* A single, standard, CDS-approved orb make/model
> Ensures compliance with CDS-orb technical capabilities
> Reduces training required for EMs who will be called upon to help configure orbs and ensure policy compliance

* The orb is provided by CDS, configured by EM
> A one-time charge for a CDS-owned copy version, paid by "CDS"
- Ensures parcel owners use the approved model
- Eliminates wasteful spending by parcel owners, buying the same device
> A nominal per parcel "setup fee", perhaps 100L, may be applied to offset the CDS cost for the device
> The orb should be owned by a permanent land management account, ie. Rudeen
- Certifies that the orb will always be accessible to CDS management, regardless of EM availability or membership
- Allows the EM to assist and validate the proper configuration of the orb
^ Adds to the EM workload
^ Only way to be certain that the orb is configured correctly, per policy
^ Included as part of the EM's on-boarding process: welcoming the owner, certifying building compliance, and configuring orb

Changes to the orb policy will require a change to the general covenant and may also affect region-specific covenants as well.

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I don't think this is an option that is going to be taken advantage of by most citizens, so it really should not be a huge burden on anyone.

However, it is reasonable to seriously consider offering it as an option, since potential citizens have been asking about it. Being a little flexible might help reduce some of that yellow on the map. ;)

Laura Azalee
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Laura Azalee »

Just a couple more thoughts.
I strongly doubt that an orb can be set to cover only the enclosed space of a building - but if that were possible, it would NOT make the "privacy control freaks" happy (Privacy in SL? Serously? How funny is that!!) . After all, those hordes of peeping Toms they fear could still fly over their homes or just enter a corner of their parcel and watch them!!!! So for the orb to be effective, it has to cover the WHOLE of the parcel - so yes, I think you can say goodbye to flying ballons and planes... walking on public land will still be possible... perhaps. But please keep to the road.
Sylvia, I don't really think this would help much to reduce the yellow dots on the map... There is much cheaper land, there are pretty places where to get a home, where you can basically build anything and put all the orbs and ban lines your heart desires...what attracts people to CDS is its UNIQUE community.
And of course,orbs are likely to mean a HUGE amount of work for the EMs to set and control them - once it gets started, I am not that sure there will only be a few that require an orb. Just travel around residential areas anywhere, and you'll see that almost every home has an orb or ban lines.
I find this so sad.
I just wish CDS was different.

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

@Laura
no offense meant , but …
… you say you strongly doubt orbs can be set to cover only the enclosed space of a building.
While Sudane says she has casper orbs in New England and knows they are capable to protect only one single room in one floor of a building if needed. I think that´s very nifty and am eager to learn how to set an orb up like this.

… you and others are concerned about air traffic, but orbs are already (were always) allowed in skyboxes above 1000 meters and as far as I know there has never been a problem with planes and balloons.

I think if we allow orbs, perhaps owned by Archie and setting them up correctly through a trained EM, nobody will even notice they are around. But if we provide casper orbs to citizens who request one it makes CDS look even more welcoming than before.

There is a reason why prefab homes still come with lockable doors and windows that can be changed to non transparent. It's not about safety but about the feeling of being safe within your own walls :)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Kyoko
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Kyoko »

Thanks for a lively discussion. That we CAN have something to say means CDS is different.

Stay tuned for a resolution that will answer most concerns.

CDS Citizen
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Will someone be posting a transcript of the LUC discussion that was had regarding this topic?

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Sorry for the delay Sylvia and all :)

I just posted the transcript:
http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=8863

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Thanks, Lilith! :)

Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I am against security orbs in all forms. It makes for a miserable way to live in any sim. I once got stuck between two of these fiends while walking down a public street.

My question is there a need for these things an are intruders a problem?

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

There are other reasons one might want an orb other than to ward off intruders. One example would be if someone in a moderate rated region (such as the CDS regions) wanted to comply with LL's maturity ratings while participating in "adult" activities.

Perhaps, since some people are so opposed to orbs, CDS (and its skyboxes and dungeons) should be purged of all adult furniture as well. ;)

LL's rule regarding this can be found at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_ ... ontent_FAQ. (Emphasis added.)

What does "behind closed doors" mean?
Adult activity on Moderate land must be conducted "behind closed doors," meaning that you must make every reasonable effort to ensure that the parcel is private. This means:

Allow only a group or specific individuals access to the parcel. If it is group-access only, the group must not be freely open to join.
Hide avatars (turn off avatar visibility) for the parcel.
Enclose the area behind walls or other visual barriers.

Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

So the government is going to search all residents for "forbidden" items? I always thought mature was alright in moderate sims behind closed doors?

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I imagine that LL doesn't have time to search without someone filing a report. I was just passing along the rule regarding the meaning of "behind closed doors". Interpret it as you like, though it seems clear enough to me. :)

Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

So are you proposing the CDS government search peoples homes for prohibited items?

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

OH SHI-
**hides the bongs**
**buys a toilet off of marketplace**
**flushes baggies down the toilet**
:lol:

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death