Changes to the ban process

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Changes to the ban process

Post by Han Held »

Sup

I'm not sure when exactly, but recently Firestorm has made changes in the way that the viewer handles adding people to the ban list in Second life (I haven't tried Opensim yet).

Waking up this morning, I was able to right-click and pick "eject" and had the option to "eject" or "eject and ban" the alt I was testing on. Both seemed to work as normal, no changes that I could see -at least as of 28 Nov 2018.

Things get interesting when you try to add someone to the ban list using "about land", please see the enclosed picture:

Using the "about Land" to ban folks requires the following steps;

1) Inside of your parcel, select "about land"
2) select the "Access" tab
3) Press the "add" button
4) Select the "Search" tab and type in a name (alternately;if the person is near you, it might be easier to select "Near Me"). Mind you that's login name, not display name (ie "Han Held", not "Hannah Marie Tempestwolf")
5) Here's the new and confusing part; after you highlight the name and press "Select" you will get a NEW dialog; "Ban Duration". By default it's set to zero. Zero is a permanent ban, and most likely what you want. Of course if you want to ban someone for a day you'd pick 24, two days would be 48 and so on.

Thanks to Rosie for pointing out to me that this was in "about land" which I had overlooked.

I asked about this in the firestorm english support group. Here's a partial transcript (redacted for clutter);

[2018/11/28 11:49] Hannah Marie Tempestwolf (han.held): (FS64 5.1.7f os) I have a question about banning from "about:land". Three questions, actually.
[2018/11/28 11:50] Hannah Marie Tempestwolf (han.held): (FS64 5.1.7f os) Now it asks for a duration; did y ou folks add that? Or LL? And if I leave it at "0" will that be a permanent ban?
[2018/11/28 11:52] Mister Acacia: Han, it was added by LL, and it tells you that zero means forever
[2018/11/28 11:52] Toy (toy.wylie): 0 is permanent. That's a Firestorm addition.
[2018/11/28 11:52] Toy (toy.wylie): Oh, LL added it?
[2018/11/28 11:53] Mister Acacia: It has to be server side since the viewer can't expire a ban while not running
[2018/11/28 11:54] Toy (toy.wylie): Yeah, it was always there for scripted bans, but never exposed to the viewer.
[2018/11/28 11:54] Mister Acacia: So the UI exposure may be FS.
[2018/11/28 11:54] Toy (toy.wylie): Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry for being unclear.
[2018/11/28 11:55] Hannah Marie Tempestwolf (han.held): (FS64 5.1.7f os) @Toy one of the ppl on my estate got that and didn't get told zero was forever; for what it's worth I didn't see anything about that either so I see why they're confused
[2018/11/28 11:55] Toy (toy.wylie): There is a tooltip in the dialog that says so, but it's not immediately obvious. I believe that's been clarified for the next update.
[2018/11/28 11:57] Mister Acacia: I'm on tip, which does include "0 means forever" on the dialog. I don't know if that's on the release version.
[2018/11/28 11:57] Toy (toy.wylie): That's not in 5.1.7, it was added after my JIRA for improvement.

The new change is a little confusing, hopefully that clears it up for everyone!

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Re: Changes to the ban process

Post by Delia Lake »

Good to know. Thanks Han. I had a "visitor" hanging around on my NFS land a few days ago. He didn't respond to chat or IM. He left on his own accord but I was reviewing what I would do to eject him from my land if I needed to do that. Friends in a couple of other private estates have had an uptick of intrusive visitors in the past couple of months. It's been a number of years since we've had real problems but it's good to know the process just in case. It might be a good idea for the RA and SC to review the laws regarding ejecting and banning as well so we keep everything up to date.

Return to “General Discussion”