The need for a current SSL certificate for the website

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Kiki Whatever
Lurker
Lurker

Re: The need for a current SSL certificate for the website

Post by Kiki Whatever »

I think internet security is highly important. I already get warnings when I try to open a link that Han Held gives me, instead of seeing the page. My laptop crashed recently (no idea why, so not at all stating it is because of this ) , but I would not like to see " dangerous links " influence my desktop.
So I think that we DO need to pay for whatever is necessary to protect CDS forums.
(As I said in the RA meeting of today, and on request of Han, I state this here too)

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Kiki Whatever wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:19 pm

I think internet security is highly important. I already get warnings when I try to open a link that Han Held gives me, instead of seeing the page. My laptop crashed recently (no idea why, so not at all stating it is because of this ) , but I would not like to see " dangerous links " influence my desktop.
So I think that we DO need to pay for whatever is necessary to protect CDS forums.
(As I said in the RA meeting of today, and on request of Han, I state this here too)

I appreciate it -thank you :) It's important to show that this isn't just a persnikkity "geek issue" but is one that affects regular people and is (beginning) to interfere with the normal running of our government.

Unless I'm mistaken, the link Lady Kiki is referring to was a link to one of our code of laws that I brought up during the RA meeting.

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

We really MUST take the steps to get the certificate for our website. Despite going to the site many times, I still EVERY TIME get first a warning page that the site is insecure and should not be visited, and then when I go past this yet another page that the site is dangerous. This makes the site useless to introduce new people to our community... and that is a huge portion of why we must have the site!

Sudane..............

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I absolutely agree, Sudane. This looks terrible to visitors to the site, and it appears to be an easy fix according to the link I posted previously. This needs to be a priority, or maybe the site should just be taken offline until the issue is resolved.

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Sudane Erato wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:39 am

We really MUST take the steps to get the certificate for our website. Despite going to the site many times, I still EVERY TIME get first a warning page that the site is insecure and should not be visited, and then when I go past this yet another page that the site is dangerous. This makes the site useless to introduce new people to our community... and that is a huge portion of why we must have the site!

Sudane..............

Agreed, and speaking from recent experience on that, too. We had a new woman purchase a plot in LA and while we were talking she googled the convenant (since we were on the topic) and she mentioned it.

Very embarrassing!

---
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Chrome will mark all HTTP sites as ‘not secure’ starting in July

We're already having problems with this, incidentally -as I mentioned in my last post.

---
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I recommend that the Chancellor contact Mizou about this. She is the only one that has access to set the certificate. She likely hasn't been able to read these forums due to RL right now, and doesn't even know that it's an issue.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas

Return to “General Discussion”