The 29th term deadline's coming up. Hey, you oughta run!

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

The 29th term deadline's coming up. Hey, you oughta run!

Post by Han Held »

Things do move slowly in the CDS, as often as not it seems as though they don't move at all. The simplest things seem to be bound in arcana and process. I know this frustration, I've felt it too.

And serving can be both taxing and demanding, having served three terms on the RA I can attest to that as well.

I can also attest that you will be hard-pressed to find a group in these worlds who will be more supportive, understanding and helpful ...both in explaining the arcana and helping you when RL interferes with the demands of the office.

If you're an old hand, consider that we still have to decide CDSL 24-01, and may well have occasion to put it into use. This is just one issue to be decided -another is the question of colonies, which has been brought up on the forum and is waiting to be detirmined [1].

Imagine it ...YOU can be a part of the team that helps the CDS expand across the mainland -perhaps even across the metaverse or into completely new worlds!

If you are new to the CDS, or simply to CDS politics you may feel intimidated. I certainly was and little in SL intimidates me! All I can do is repeat that the people who I have worked with since 2015 have always been supportive of me. I've been able to "take it in" at my own pace and that my experience serving on the RA has given me valuable perspective and tools which has helped me in other virtual world orgs I've participated in.

In the short run, or in the long run, the best way to address the concerns that matter to you the most is to get involved. Even by "losing" you win, as you see the mechanizations and are able to see a different way to address your concerns -eventually settling them. And, of course "you can never ever win without a fight" as Niel Peart wrote.

I am running ...and whether I run against you in the race for Chancellor, or whether I anticipate working with you after you win a seat on the RA I believe that I will end up a better person. It's always a learning experience, and I have taken something away from each term served, even from the conflicts.

I think your experience will be similar and that you'll find you're better off as well

And I KNOW the CDS will be better for it. The more the merrier, right?

To run, send a notecard to Lilith Ivory, Dean of the Scientific Council by NOON, SL time, 2 May 2018

See you at the race!
-Han Held,

[1]http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 783#p46797

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: The 29th term deadline's coming up. Hey, you oughta run!

Post by Rosie Gray »

Well said Han Held.

I would like to add that as in any community it requires people to sometimes step a bit outside of their comfort-zone by taking on some responsibilities. It can be a learning curve, but it comes with the benefits of knowing you are helping your community, learning new things, seeing your ideas being put into action (or at the very least discussed and thought through), and spreading around the work. Everyone who has spent time as Chancellor or on the RA also likes to enjoy 'time off' to pursue their other interests, so it's important that others take a turn too so that nobody gets burnt out.

If you're not sure how things work and have never done anything like this before, don't worry, there are lots of experienced folks around to ask advice of if you need it, or just to bounce ideas off of.

Dianne Mechanique
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Dianne Mechanique »

I would run, but I'm not on the census. :(

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Dianne Mechanique wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:04 pm

I would run, but I'm not on the census. :(

But you are on the census.
http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8471

---
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Sadly, while Dianne is on the April 12 census, so she CAN vote, she is not on the April 2 census, which is the one that qualifies a citizen to run for office. So... next time (this coming fall) we'll expect to see Dianne's name on the ballot! :)

Sudane......................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Sudane Erato wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:01 am

Sadly, while Dianne is on the April 12 census, so she CAN vote, she is not on the April 2 census, which is the one that qualifies a citizen to run for office. So... next time (this coming fall) we'll expect to see Dianne's name on the ballot! :)

Sudane......................

I was confused, yikes! :oops: This term is going to be very educational ...and that's why I'm going to be asking for all the help I can get! :shock: :shock:

Thanks, Sudane. 8)

---

Return to “General Discussion”