Land for Sale (general) - new page

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Land for Sale (general) - new page

Post by Bagheera »

Over time, there have been a lot of varied efforts to present land for sale in CDS, from a sticky at the top of this forum (which people updated for a while and then gave up) to a link on Sudane's blog available inworld (which is 3 years out of date). I am not criticising any of these efforts, in fact I am acting, I believe, in the same spirit and intent but hopefully in a way that is easier to administrate.

The challenge has always been, I believe, in the reality that land moves either very slowly (so people give up since there has been no change for a loooong while) or it moves quickly in CDS with turnover of 3 or 4 parcels in a matter of hours. The government can track land that has been reclaimed and will be set for sale again, but tracking private sales is tricky.

In an effort to at least get things closer to "real time," and also to integrate the information to the most likely place for NEW visitors looking to learn about us, I have created a new page called Land for Sale under the "CDS Land Prices and Fees" menu-item on the CDS main page: portal.slcds.info. To keep it simple, once a week, (that I believe will not put a heavy burden on those who take over this task in the future) - is take a screenshot inworld of the BIG landmap showing all the CDS sims which will automatically show all the parcels set for sale in yellow - then post that landmap image to the Land for Sale page, here:
http://portal.slcds.info/index.php/cds- ... -for-sale/

When time permits, whoever is managing the page can visit the parcels for sale and write descriptions (as I have done this time), but at a minimum an updated landmap will be posted once a week indicating the day and time the image was taken. That will at least allay concerns of new visitors that the page is active (being only a few days out of date, versus several months or years).

This is absolutely open to constructive criticism and advice on improvements - keeping in mind the balance of "how much effort required" versus necessity. The main concern here is that it be something easily maintainable while still relevant for the future (and remembering historically in the past that efforts have gotten bogged down). Today's post was easy, but it may not always be so.

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon

Return to “General Discussion”