Minor forum hiccup and a few (invisible) server goodies...

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Minor forum hiccup and a few (invisible) server goodies...

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Hi all!

Some of you may have noticed that there was a slight forum downtime (uh, I think it was about half an hour or so...) a few hours ago. This was not quite planned — I was hoping for a smooth transition and tested the changes first on my backup server (where everything worked flawlessly) but had a conflict on the 'main' server... anyway... it took me a while to scratch my head and figure out what exactly was wrong!

Sorry about that! Things are fortunately operational again.

For the techy-minded: I did upgrade the underlying web server to allow for HTTP/2 connections and installed Google's PageSpeed cache-and-automatic-optimization module. This ought to give a bit more performance while at the same time reducing the server load; however, you will need to access the forums using https://forums.slcds.info/ instead — in the future, I might make that mandatory (basically I'll force a redirect from HTTP to HTTPS automatically, so you won't need to change any links), but for now, the forums will reply both via HTTP and HTTPS. I'm curious if you can spot any real difference in terms of performance :D (because, honestly, I cannot!)

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Minor forum hiccup and a few (invisible) server goodies...

Post by Rosie Gray »

Happy to see the little padlock on the URL, Gwyn! Thanks for your work on keeping our forums alive... as always. :)

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas

Return to “General Discussion”